For my Inquiry project for EDCI 336 I am going to document my exploration into Middle Eastern cuisine. I’ve developed a huge love for middle eastern flavours and have recently started trying to learn more about this type of food in a more meaningful way.

When I was growing up, my family would eat Halva semi-regularly (the kind with chocolate was my favourite), and Mediterranean food, like dolmades and baklava, were often around. Several years ago a Mediterranean deli named Fig opened in my neighbourhood and it became a regular weekend stop for my husband and I to get Chicken Shawarma. The grocery section was always a treat to browse through for the best pastas and condiments. I started collecting new things to try and branching out into new herbs and flavours that I was less familiar with.

After my daughter was born, I became the predominant cook in my family and I started desperately looking for different recipes to keep myself interested in what can be a very repetitive task. I found myself drawn more and more towards flavours and recipes from the eastern mediterranean and the middle east. I looked up recipes and found books at the library. A lot of the foods I tried worked their way into my regular rotation.

Where I am at right now is that I am a mother of two and I still cook most of my family’s meals, but since I’m going to school I don’t feel as much energy to be creative. By focusing on this passion for my Free Inquiry project I hope to carve out a little time for something I love. Please follow along and see what I learn and what I make!

Top image source